Better Late: SAP Co-CEO Apologizes for Oracle IP Theft
What an uncomfortable moment this must have been for SAP co-Chief Executive Officer Bill McDermott. Under cross-examination by Oracle attorney David Boies in the trial to determine damages for the theft of Oracle IP by SAP subsidiary TomorrowNow, McDermott rolled over and offered up something that we’d not yet seen since this case began: An apology.
“Has SAP ever apologized?” Boies asked. “Would you like to do so now?”
McDermott’s reply, “I am sorry to Oracle.”
As I said, an uncomfortable moment–and evidently one of many. Boies subsequently asked McDermott if SAP had ever disciplined anyone at TomorrowNow for its misdeeds. McDermott said it hadn’t. “We were focused on a resolution with Oracle,” he said. “It’s a matter of priorities.” To which Boies replied, “I don’t mean any disrespect, but what is taking so long?”
To be fair, McDermott did offer some testimony supportive of SAP, noting that TomorrowNow didn’t generate a lot of software sales. â€śNot only was it not a big driver of software sales, it wasnâ€™t a very successful [concept],â€ť he said.
Maybe that’s why it took so many years for SAP to apologize.
- SAP Co-CEO Expected to Testify in Oracle Trial Today
- HP to Oracle: Leave LĂ©o Alone
- Oracle Still Hoping to Snag HP’s Apotheker for SAP Trial
- HP CEO to Oracle: Here’s Looking at You, Kid–Suntory Time!
- Ellison to Self: Damn, Damn. I Knew I Should Have Said $4.5 Billion
- SAP Attorney: Board Knew TomorrowNow Was Infringing at Time of Acquisition
- Oracle Co-President on SAPâ€™s Damages Offer: â€śItâ€™s Crazyâ€ť
- Oracle Enlists Process Servers, Not PIs, to Find HP CEO
- Oracle-SAP Trial: Ellison Swaps Katana for Poison Darts
- Objection: Mr. Ellison Is Referring to the Defendant as “Choleric of Temper” Again
- Oracle Lands Early Shots in SAP Trial
- Your Honor, We Object to Mr. Ellison’s Repeated Use of the Term “Slimy Weasels”
- Oracle to HP CEO: Chicken!
- Oracle Vs. SAP: We Got a Right to Pick a Little Fight–Bonanza!
- SAP’s Tab in Oracle Case: $120 Million and Counting
- Gag Order Denied in Oracle, SAP Trial
- Ellison Taunts HP CEO a Second Time
- SAP to Ellison: Save the Drama for Your Mama
- Ellison to HP CEO: â€śWarrior, Come Out to Plaaeeay!
- SAP: Please Gag Oracle
- HP Scandal Sucks in New York Times Columnist Over Conflict of Interest
- Welch to HP Board: You Donâ€™t Know Jack!
- Insiders Criticize Ellison For HP CEO Slam
- Was Apotheker HPâ€™s First Choice of CEO?
- HP Names Ex-SAP Chief Apotheker as CEO
[Image credit: Someecards]