Oracle-SAP Case Closes With $1.67 Billion Difference of Opinion
Closing arguments in the Oracle vs. SAP trial went about as expected, with Oracle attorney David Boies urging the jury to drop the hammer on SAP by awarding $1.7 billion in damages for infringement of intellectual property, and SAP attorney Robert Mittelstaedt arguing that to do so would be asinine.
“The defendants have admitted that their infringement was massive and prolonged,” Boies said in his closing statement. “It is clear that SAP’s board and top executives expected it would be worth billions of dollars.” And just because SAP wasn’t able to generate that kind of value from Oracle’s pilfered IP, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t pay full fare for its infringement. “They took it and they have to pay for it regardless of whether they did well or didn’t do well using it.”
But SAP would rather not pay what it describes as a poorly caluclated “bonanza” award. “This case comes down to what is the best measure of compensation,” SAP attorney Robert Mittelstaedt argued. “Oracle’s [proposed damages] are based on guesswork,” while SAP’s are “based on reality.”
And evidently factoring “reality” into the equation cuts a hell of a lot of fat off the damages award at issue here. Because Mittelstaedt says SAP feels it owes Oracle just $28 million, which is, remarkably, even less than the $40.6 million its high-paid damages expert suggested.
- LOLCatz: Safra on The Stand Again in Oracle-SAP Trial
- Plattner and White No-Shows at Oracle-SAP Trial
- Damages Expert to SAP: You Owe Me $14 Million and Oracle Four Times That
- Oracle, SAP and the Apotheker Sideshow
- Better Late: SAP Co-CEO Apologizes for Oracle IP Theft
- SAP Co-CEO Expected to Testify in Oracle Trial Today
- HP to Oracle: Leave Léo Alone
- Oracle Still Hoping to Snag HP’s Apotheker for SAP Trial
- HP CEO to Oracle: Here’s Looking at You, Kid–Suntory Time!
- Ellison to Self: Damn, Damn. I Knew I Should Have Said $4.5 Billion
- SAP Attorney: Board Knew TomorrowNow Was Infringing at Time of Acquisition
- Oracle Co-President on SAP’s Damages Offer: “It’s Crazy”
- Oracle Enlists Process Servers, Not PIs, to Find HP CEO
- Oracle-SAP Trial: Ellison Swaps Katana for Poison Darts
- Objection: Mr. Ellison Is Referring to the Defendant as “Choleric of Temper” Again
- Oracle Lands Early Shots in SAP Trial
- Your Honor, We Object to Mr. Ellison’s Repeated Use of the Term “Slimy Weasels”
- Oracle to HP CEO: Chicken!
- Oracle Vs. SAP: We Got a Right to Pick a Little Fight–Bonanza!
- SAP’s Tab in Oracle Case: $120 Million and Counting
- Gag Order Denied in Oracle, SAP Trial
- Ellison Taunts HP CEO a Second Time
- SAP to Ellison: Save the Drama for Your Mama
- Ellison to HP CEO: “Warrior, Come Out to Plaaeeay!
- SAP: Please Gag Oracle
- HP Scandal Sucks in New York Times Columnist Over Conflict of Interest
- Welch to HP Board: You Don’t Know Jack!
- Insiders Criticize Ellison For HP CEO Slam
- Was Apotheker HP’s First Choice of CEO?
- HP Names Ex-SAP Chief Apotheker as CEO