Apple's iPad 2 Event by the Numbers
The most important numbers by far at Apple’s special event in San Francisco today were 2 (as in iPad 2) and 4.3 (as in iOS 4.3). But there plenty of others as well, each a testament to Apple’s continuing dominance of the smartphone and tablet markets. Below, a quick rundown of all the metrics trotted out this morning.
- 100 million iBooks downloaded
- 2,500 publishers on iBookstore
- 200 million iTunes accounts, each with a user identity and credit card number
- $2 billion in profits paid out to App Store developers
- 100 million iPhones sold to date
- Nearly 15 million iPads sold in 2010–more than every tablet PC ever sold
- Those 15 million iPads generated $9.5 billion in revenue
- And they gave iPad a greater than 90 percent share of the tablet market
- More than 350,000 apps in Apple’s App Store
- 65,000 of those have been optimized for iPad
- Far more than the 100 or so that Google’s Android Honeycomb OS will debut with.