Apple’s iPad 2: The Basics
Here’s what we know so far about Apple’s iPad 2.
- It’s got a dual core processor as well as improved video
- Front and rear-facing cameras
- Thinner design, even thinner than an iPhone 4 (8.8 millimeters vs. 13.4 millimeters) “It is not a little bit thinner, but a third thinner,” Jobs said
- Lighter (1.3 pounds vs. 1.5 pounds for the original)
- Two colors: black and white “We’re going to be shipping white from Day 1,” Jobs said.
- Models supporting both AT&T and Verizon
- same 10-hour battery life
- same prices as first iPad
- Accessories include a $39 HDMI out cable that mirrors what’s on the iPad at up to 1080p resolution and a “smart cover” that uses magnets to attach to the iPad and allow it to stand up without adding bulk of a case. The cases come in five polyurethane colors for $39 apiece and five leather colors for $69
The iPad 2 will be out March 11 in the U.S. and two weeks later in 26 other countries.
“I think this is going to be the first dual core tablet to ship in volume,” Jobs said.
Check out our hands-on video with the iPad 2.
For more coverage, check out our ongoing live blog of the Apple event,