Ina Fried

Recent Posts by Ina Fried

Barnes Noble Moves Forward With Plans To Allow Android Apps on Nook

Barnes & Noble offered up more details on Thursday on its plans to open its Nook Color device to more Android developers.

The company released new tools for those looking to create apps for the e-reader and said it plans to offer developers 70 percent of revenue generated through its store, with Barnes & Noble getting the remaining 30 percent. Free apps will also be allowed, as well as the ability for developers to offer trial versions of their programs.

The store and Android apps are expected to be available in the next major update to the Nook, due this spring. Developers interested have to apply to Barnes & Noble, with those accepted getting early access to development tools and other information. The company said it intends to review and approve applications, as it does with books, “to ensure the content is appropriate for the Barnes & Noble customer.”

The bookseller said in October that it planned to bring a wave of Android apps to the device, beginning with such titles as Angry Birds, Tikatok and various Lonely Planet Phrasebooks. It shipped with a Web browser and a few apps, such as Sudoku and Pandora.

Not all Nook users have been patiently waiting for the company to open up the device, with some enthusiasts choosing to hack their tablets (known as “rooting”) to get full Android access. Barnes & Noble didn’t have much to say on the practice, though the company notes that doing so does void the warranty.

Meanwhile, there is speculation that Amazon, which recently launched an Android app store of its own, could be developing tablets of its own, though it has not announced any such plans.


Latest Video

View all videos »

Search »

There was a worry before I started this that I was going to burn every bridge I had. But I realize now that there are some bridges that are worth burning.

— Valleywag editor Sam Biddle