25 Million iPads, 14 Billion Apps: WWDC 2011 by the Numbers
There were lots of numbers showcased in Apple’s WWDC keynote Monday morning–big, big numbers. Over the course of the 118-minute presentation, executives trotted out metric after metric with which to chart the company’s achievements. Below, a list of the more memorable ones.
- 5200 developers are attending WWDC this year.
- The Mac App Store is now the #1 retail channel for PC software over Best Buy and Wal-mart.
- Mac sales rose 28 percent year over year during Apple’s last quarter, while PC sales declined 1 percent.
- There are now 54 million active Mac users around the world.
- Mac sales have outpaced the broader PC market for 5 years, 22 straight quarters.
- Apple has sold 200 million iOS devices to date…
- …which accounts for more than 44 percent of the mobile market.
- 25 million iPads were sold in the device’s 14 months of availability.
- 15 billion songs have been sold from the iTunes store…
- …making Apple the #1 music retailer in the world.
- 130 million books have been downloaded from iBooks.
- There are 425,000 apps in the app store.
- 90,000 of them are designed specifically for the iPad.
- 14 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store in less than 3 years.
- Apple has paid some $2.5 billion to developers building apps for the app store.
- There are 225 million iTunes Store accounts, all of them with associated credit cards and 1-click purchasing.
- There are 50 million Game Center users. XBox Live, which has been around for a lot longer, only has about 30 million.
IOS users send more than 1 billion Tweets a week.(Looks like this is a general Twitter number, not specific to iOS)
- To date, about 100 billion push notifications have been sent to iOS devices.
- The iPhone 4′s camera is the second most used camera on Flickr.
- OS X Lion boasts 250+ new features and 3,000 APIs.
- IOS 5 has 200+ new features and 1,500 APIs.
- Apple’s WWDC 2011 Keynote: Spotlight on Software
- Apple CEO Steve Jobs Takes the Stage
- Mac OS X Lion Coming in July via Mac App Store
- IOS 5 to Offer Improved Browsing, Notifications, Twitter Integration, 197 Other Features
- The Unlikely Breakout Stars of WWDC: Two Podcasters From the U.K.
- Google, Amazon Dodge a Bullet: Apple’s iCloud Music Is a Meh. (Luckily, There’s Much, Much More)
- Today in Hyperbole (or Possibly Reality): What Did Apple Just Kill?
- Apple’s Lion and Microsoft’s Windows 8 Both Show Mobile’s Influence
- Three Things to Take Away From Apple’s WWDC Announcements (Video)
- Apple’s Invisible iCloud: The Promise of Simple, Seamless Sync
- 25 Million iPads, 1 Billion Tweets: WWDC 2011 by the Numbers
- Apple Delivers Another Slap to RIM’s Face With iMessage
- Apple Enables Post-PC Era With iOS 5, but Are Users Ready?