Deutsche Telekom Vows to Fight to Keep AT&T-T-Mobile Deal Alive
T-Mobile parent company Deutsche Telekom said on Wednesday that it is prepared to do battle to keep alive its deal to sell its U.S. arm to AT&T.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Department of Justice filed suit seeking to block the deal on the grounds it would harm competition. AT&T said it was surprised by the government’s move and vowed to fight in court.
In a statement to AllThingsD, the German telephone giant said the U.S. government is wrong to block the proposed $39 billion deal.
“Deutsche Telekom is very disappointed by the DOJ’s action, and will join AT&T in defending the contemplated merger against the complaint in court,” DT Executive Vice President Philipp Schindera said. “(The) DOJ failed to acknowledge the robust competition in the U.S. wireless telecommunications industry and the tremendous efficiencies associated with the proposed transaction, which would lead to significant customer, shareholder, and public benefits.”
Schindera did say he appreciated the apparent willingness of regulators to discuss possible remedies.