Apple Turns the iPhone Into a Hallmark Store
Apple on Tuesday kicked off its iPhone event by announcing a new app that creates and mails greeting cards directly from within an iPhone or iPad.
The service is similar to existing apps like Postagram, though that focuses on postcards, while Apple’s $2.99-per-card service is for a letterpress greeting card. Cards sent to addresses outside the U.S. cost $4.99.
For those sent within the U.S., Apple includes a special barcode allowing it to send a push notification the day the card is being sent.
The event began, in standard Apple fashion, with CEO Tim Cook offering a flurry of stats on just how well Apple’s business is going. Apple is following with updates on iCloud and iOS, promising the new iOS 5 will be available Oct. 12 as a free update.
The event is continuing. For AllThingsD‘s live coverage, click here.
- Commas, Zeros and No. 1: Apple’s iPhone 4S Event by the Numbers
- In Depth With Siri: The Full Demo From the D7 Conference (Plus an Old-School Bonus)
- Tim Cook Follows Steve Jobs’s Footsteps Closely in Big Stage Debut
- Just Like We Didn’t Tell You: No Apple-Facebook Tie-Up Today
- Why Siri Sounds Like a Lady
- I Am Number 4S? — No Sparkly iPhone 5 Disappoints Apple Fans (and Wall Street)
- Exclusive: AT&T’s New App Will Let You Get a New iPhone — From Your Existing iPhone
- Apple’s Quiet iPhone Move: More Price Pressure
- Apple Wants You to Meet Siri, Your New Personal Assistant
- Apple’s Game Center Scores 67 Million Players
- So What Puts the S in the New iPhone 4S?
- Apple’s “Find My Friends” Location Feature Is More Like Glympse Than Foursquare
- Apple Updates iPods with Cheaper iPod Touch and Nano
- Apple Turns the iPhone into a Hallmark Store
- Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” Event, LIVE
- Even If He’s Not at Apple Event, Steve Jobs Sure Knows How to Put on a Show
- Viral Video: The iPhone 5 as Love Potion #9
- Mostly Sunny With 100 Percent Chance of Apples
- What’s Behind a Tim Cook Apple Event (Comic)
- Apple Launching iPhone 5 in October
- Apple’s Next Event to Be Held on October 4, Starring Its New CEO
- October iPhone Event to Be Held on Apple Campus
- Apple Announces October 4 Event: Let’s Talk iPhone