Apple Wants You to Meet Siri, Your New Personal Assistant
While many of the new features in the iPhone 4S had to do with hardware tweaks, the main feature of the phone could well be Siri.
Siri, which Apple bought last year, allows users to get a range of information just by asking their phone a question. On stage, Apple iOS head Scott Forstall demonstrated the app doing everything from finding directions to getting stock quotes and currency conversions. Apple has also partnered with Yelp to grab and sort local information.
The Siri feature is activated in the new iPhone by pressing and holding the “home” button on the iPhone, or pressing and holding a button on a Bluetooth headset.
“It’s just that easy,” Forstall said. “You can ask so many questions of Siri.”
So just who is Siri? Well, Forstall asked the phone that very question.
“I am a humble personal assistant,” the phone responded.
Siri will launch in beta with the Oct. 14 debut of the iPhone 4S, supporting English, French and German. More features and languages will be supported over time, Apple said. Of note, it works only on the iPhone 4S and no prior models, nor any other iOS device.
- Commas, Zeros and No. 1: Apple’s iPhone 4S Event by the Numbers
- In Depth With Siri: The Full Demo From the D7 Conference (Plus an Old-School Bonus)
- Tim Cook Follows Steve Jobs’s Footsteps Closely in Big Stage Debut
- Just Like We Didn’t Tell You: No Apple-Facebook Tie-Up Today
- Why Siri Sounds Like a Lady
- I Am Number 4S? — No Sparkly iPhone 5 Disappoints Apple Fans (and Wall Street)
- Exclusive: AT&T’s New App Will Let You Get a New iPhone — From Your Existing iPhone
- Apple’s Quiet iPhone Move: More Price Pressure
- Apple Wants You to Meet Siri, Your New Personal Assistant
- Apple’s Game Center Scores 67 Million Players
- So What Puts the S in the New iPhone 4S?
- Apple’s “Find My Friends” Location Feature Is More Like Glympse Than Foursquare
- Apple Updates iPods with Cheaper iPod Touch and Nano
- Apple Turns the iPhone into a Hallmark Store
- Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” Event, LIVE
- Even If He’s Not at Apple Event, Steve Jobs Sure Knows How to Put on a Show
- Viral Video: The iPhone 5 as Love Potion #9
- Mostly Sunny With 100 Percent Chance of Apples
- What’s Behind a Tim Cook Apple Event (Comic)
- Apple Launching iPhone 5 in October
- Apple’s Next Event to Be Held on October 4, Starring Its New CEO
- October iPhone Event to Be Held on Apple Campus
- Apple Announces October 4 Event: Let’s Talk iPhone