Apple’s Quiet iPhone Move: More Price Pressure
Apple may not have delivered a big-screen iPhone 5 on Tuesday, but the combination of a more powerful iPhone and price cuts to existing models could well make life even more difficult for its rivals. The new iPhone 4S, with its faster processor, improved camera and Siri voice control feature, will start at $199 when it goes on sale Oct. 14.
Meanwhile, Apple plans to continue selling an eight gigabyte iPhone 4 for $99 — and an 8GB iPhone 3GS for free — with new contracts. Also, the iPhone 4S will be coming to Sprint, meaning Android models will no longer have the run of their stores; this leaves T-Mobile USA as the only national carrier without an iPhone.
With a new two-year contract, a 16GB iPhone 4S will sell for $199, while the 32GB version will sell for $299 and the 64GB model for $399. Preorders start on Friday, and the new phone will be available Oct. 14 in the U.S., Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Japan.
Apple is also adding a second major carrier — KDDI — in Japan, in addition to longtime partner SoftBank.
More than 70 countries will be supported by the end of the year, Apple Senior VP Phil Schiller said, making it the fastest iPhone rollout in the company’s history.
- Commas, Zeros and No. 1: Apple’s iPhone 4S Event by the Numbers
- In Depth With Siri: The Full Demo From the D7 Conference (Plus an Old-School Bonus)
- Tim Cook Follows Steve Jobs’s Footsteps Closely in Big Stage Debut
- Just Like We Didn’t Tell You: No Apple-Facebook Tie-Up Today
- Why Siri Sounds Like a Lady
- I Am Number 4S? — No Sparkly iPhone 5 Disappoints Apple Fans (and Wall Street)
- Exclusive: AT&T’s New App Will Let You Get a New iPhone — From Your Existing iPhone
- Apple’s Quiet iPhone Move: More Price Pressure
- Apple Wants You to Meet Siri, Your New Personal Assistant
- Apple’s Game Center Scores 67 Million Players
- So What Puts the S in the New iPhone 4S?
- Apple’s “Find My Friends” Location Feature Is More Like Glympse Than Foursquare
- Apple Updates iPods with Cheaper iPod Touch and Nano
- Apple Turns the iPhone into a Hallmark Store
- Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” Event, LIVE
- Even If He’s Not at Apple Event, Steve Jobs Sure Knows How to Put on a Show
- Viral Video: The iPhone 5 as Love Potion #9
- Mostly Sunny With 100 Percent Chance of Apples
- What’s Behind a Tim Cook Apple Event (Comic)
- Apple Launching iPhone 5 in October
- Apple’s Next Event to Be Held on October 4, Starring Its New CEO
- October iPhone Event to Be Held on Apple Campus
- Apple Announces October 4 Event: Let’s Talk iPhone