I Am Number 4S? — No Sparkly iPhone 5 Disappoints Apple Fans (and Wall Street)
Apple rolled out a new iPhone today. Sort of.
Except it did not have a bigger, flatter screen. It did not have a sleeker, thinner body. It would not need all new polypropylene sleeves and other fancy accessories.
In other words, it was not an iPhone 5.
Oops, after all the breathless stories about this ideal and groundbreaking new device and predictions — including here — that this was the name of whatever Apple was releasing.
In fact, everyone was using that moniker for it, from local television news to vendors to my mother.
Instead, the tech giant launched the new iPhone 4S, which has a faster processor, an improved camera and Siri voice control feature, at a cheaper price.
Very slick, as usual, and full of cool Apple bells and whistles.
Still. Prolonged sighs could be felt all over the blogosphere and on Twitter, where Steve Brown tweeted me: “Can I be bummed now?!?”
Better still, Davin Bentti wrote: “The ‘S’ stands for ‘Steve, come back!'”
He was referring to the missing Apple icon Steve Jobs, who recently turned over leadership at the company to new CEO Tim Cook. Jobs’s Apple event performances are legendary.
Wall Street also had its iPhone 5 bubble burst, with investors shunning Apple stock. Shares are down almost five percent now.
- Commas, Zeros and No. 1: Apple’s iPhone 4S Event by the Numbers
- In Depth With Siri: The Full Demo From the D7 Conference (Plus an Old-School Bonus)
- Tim Cook Follows Steve Jobs’s Footsteps Closely in Big Stage Debut
- Just Like We Didn’t Tell You: No Apple-Facebook Tie-Up Today
- Why Siri Sounds Like a Lady
- I Am Number 4S? — No Sparkly iPhone 5 Disappoints Apple Fans (and Wall Street)
- Exclusive: AT&T’s New App Will Let You Get a New iPhone — From Your Existing iPhone
- Apple’s Quiet iPhone Move: More Price Pressure
- Apple Wants You to Meet Siri, Your New Personal Assistant
- Apple’s Game Center Scores 67 Million Players
- So What Puts the S in the New iPhone 4S?
- Apple’s “Find My Friends” Location Feature Is More Like Glympse Than Foursquare
- Apple Updates iPods with Cheaper iPod Touch and Nano
- Apple Turns the iPhone into a Hallmark Store
- Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” Event, LIVE
- Even If He’s Not at Apple Event, Steve Jobs Sure Knows How to Put on a Show
- Viral Video: The iPhone 5 as Love Potion #9
- Mostly Sunny With 100 Percent Chance of Apples
- What’s Behind a Tim Cook Apple Event (Comic)
- Apple Launching iPhone 5 in October
- Apple’s Next Event to Be Held on October 4, Starring Its New CEO
- October iPhone Event to Be Held on Apple Campus
- Apple Announces October 4 Event: Let’s Talk iPhone