So What Puts the S in the New iPhone 4S?
While Apple’s new iPhone 4S resembles the iPhone 4 in many ways, there are several key changes that make the new phone different from its predecessor.
First up is the new A5 processor — the chip used in the iPad 2. The chip also packs an Apple-designed digital signal processor that can help with things like face detection on the camera, according to Apple Senior VP Phil Schiller, who led the part of Tuesday’s event focused on the new iPhone.
Second, Apple has tweaked the wireless networks and antennas, allowing a single phone to be a world phone, and also supporting a faster flavor of the kind of wireless networks used by AT&T, known as HSPA+.
Third, the phone packs a higher-resolution eight megapixel sensor with backside illumination, which Schiller said allows the camera to grab 73 percent more light and to be up to a third faster at snapping pictures. It can also take higher-resolution 1080p high-definition video.
“It really is the one camera you want to have with you all the time,” Schiller said.
The new iPhone, like the iPad 2, also supports mirroring to a TV over AirPlay and Apple TV or a wired connection. And, naturally, it packs iOS 5.
“It’s the best iPhone yet,” Schiller said.
Saving the best for last, though, Schiller talked about the new voice control features.
While other phones — and the iPhone itself — have had voice control, Schiller noted they have largely been limited to very specific commands, such as playing a song or calling a person.
“It is such a letdown,” Schiller said. “What we really want to do is just talk to a device.”
Apple’s new feature is dubbed Siri, with the name coming from a “virtual personal assistant” company that Apple bought last year.
The event is still going on, with talk having shifted to the new iPhone 4S. For live coverage, click here.
- Commas, Zeros and No. 1: Apple’s iPhone 4S Event by the Numbers
- In Depth With Siri: The Full Demo From the D7 Conference (Plus an Old-School Bonus)
- Tim Cook Follows Steve Jobs’s Footsteps Closely in Big Stage Debut
- Just Like We Didn’t Tell You: No Apple-Facebook Tie-Up Today
- Why Siri Sounds Like a Lady
- I Am Number 4S? — No Sparkly iPhone 5 Disappoints Apple Fans (and Wall Street)
- Exclusive: AT&T’s New App Will Let You Get a New iPhone — From Your Existing iPhone
- Apple’s Quiet iPhone Move: More Price Pressure
- Apple Wants You to Meet Siri, Your New Personal Assistant
- Apple’s Game Center Scores 67 Million Players
- So What Puts the S in the New iPhone 4S?
- Apple’s “Find My Friends” Location Feature Is More Like Glympse Than Foursquare
- Apple Updates iPods with Cheaper iPod Touch and Nano
- Apple Turns the iPhone into a Hallmark Store
- Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” Event, LIVE
- Even If He’s Not at Apple Event, Steve Jobs Sure Knows How to Put on a Show
- Viral Video: The iPhone 5 as Love Potion #9
- Mostly Sunny With 100 Percent Chance of Apples
- What’s Behind a Tim Cook Apple Event (Comic)
- Apple Launching iPhone 5 in October
- Apple’s Next Event to Be Held on October 4, Starring Its New CEO
- October iPhone Event to Be Held on Apple Campus
- Apple Announces October 4 Event: Let’s Talk iPhone