Steve Jobs Has Died
“Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being,” the company said in a statement. “Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.”
Apple’s board of directors also issued the following statement.
We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.
Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.
His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.
Jobs is survived by his wife and four children, and in a separate statement they said:
Steve died peacefully today surrounded by his family.
In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve’s illness; a website will be provided for those who wish to offer tributes and memories.
We are grateful for the support and kindness of those who share our feelings for Steve. We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief.
Jobs had taken a medical leave of absence earlier this year, his third in a continuing battle with pancreatic cancer that began in 2004.
According to this memo just sent by CEO Tim Cook: Apple is planning a celebration of Jobs’s life for employees that will take place soon.
I have some very sad news to share with all of you. Steve passed away earlier today.
Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.
We are planning a celebration of Steve’s extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon. If you would like to share your thoughts, memories and condolences in the interim, you can simply email email@example.com.
No words can adequately express our sadness at Steve’s death or our gratitude for the opportunity to work with him. We will honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much.
AllThingsD will be updating with the full news as soon as possible, but first and foremost we send our deepest condolences to the family of Steve Jobs and the employees of Apple.
- Samsung, Google Cancel Launch Event Out of Respect for Steve Jobs
- Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert Say Goodbye to Steve Jobs
- An Accountant’s Soul Presides Over the P&L at Apple
- New York Times Crossword Honors Steve Jobs With Puzzle Written by Quora Engineer
- For Steve (Comic)
- Walt Mossberg Reflects on Life and Career of Steve Jobs for Fox Business (Video)
- Apple Shares Rise
- Steve Jobs Biography Arrives in October, a Month Early
- Now What? The Post-Jobs Era in Tech.
- Thoughts on the First Day of Apple’s Post-Jobs Era
- How Will Apple Shares Fare Today?
- Tributes to Steve Jobs, in Pictures
- The Three Irreplaceable Qualities of Steve Jobs
- Walt Mossberg: The Steve Jobs I Knew
- Remembering the Life of Steve Jobs
- Steve Jobs in His Own Words
- Barack Obama On Steve Jobs
- Tech and Media Titans Pay Tribute to Steve Jobs
- Steve Jobs’s Appearances at D, the Full Video Sessions
- Bill Gates: “I Will Miss Steve Immensely”
- Steve Jobs Through the Years: Highlights and Clips From the D Conference
- Steve Jobs Has Died