Apple: We Stopped Supporting Carrier IQ With iOS 5
Apple has weighed in on the Carrier IQ debacle. In a statement given to AllThingsD, the company said while it has used Carrier IQ’s network diagnostic software in the past, it recently stopped supporting it and plans to remove it from its mobile devices in a future software update. It also denied collecting any personal information though the software, which is disabled by default in its devices.
Apple’s statement in full, below:
“We stopped supporting Carrier IQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so.”
Related Posts on Carrier IQ:
- Exclusive Interview: Carrier IQ Gets Transparent About Its Mobile Monitoring
- Carrier IQ: How to Hack Back Your Phone
- Carrier IQ Speaks: Our Software Monitors Service Messages, Ignores Other Data
- Apple: We Stopped Supporting Carrier IQ With iOS 5
- RIM, HTC, Google on Carrier IQ: Blame the Carriers
- Carrier IQ Improves My Wireless Service by Logging My Keystrokes? Please Explain.