Still Looking for Gift Ideas? Wal-Mart Recommends a Box for Men.
Still don’t know what to get your loved one for the holidays?
Well, you better decide fast. For many sites, today is the final day that orders can be placed to get guaranteed delivery by Christmas.
If you are having a hard time coming up with ideas, there are plenty of Facebook applications that will offer recommendations based on a gift recipient’s interests.
Late last month, Wal-Mart launched an application called Shopycat, which does just that.
To be helpful, I got a list of Shopycat’s 20 most-recommended gifts. At the very top of the list was an unexpected item called a “personalized keepsake box” for men. The box, which costs $24.76, is designed to hold a man’s watch, jewelry, money clip and/or other items.
It’s not clear what a person’s interests would have been for this to surface at the top of so many lists (maybe the popularity of the holiday-themed Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg music video “Dick in a Box” had something to do with it?) After all, many of the other items on the list are clearly based on someone’s favorite TV shows, movies or videogames. For instance, other fun items that made the list were action figures for “The Big Lebowski,” an Angry Birds beanie and “Star Wars” bathrobes.
As for the man box, it is sold out, so clearly some people agreed with Wal-Mart that it made for a good gift.
Not all of the items are recommendations for items sold on the Wal-Mart site. It also refers shoppers to other sites, such as ThinkGeek.com, Barnes & Noble, CBSstore.com and RedEnvelope.
Wal-Mart did not say how many people have used the app since it went live last month, but given that Wal-Mart has 11 million Facebook fans, it could represent big numbers.
Here is the entire list of most-recommended gifts for 2011:
- Personalized Keepsake Box
- “Star Wars” Jedi & Sith Bathrobes
- Personalized “Home is Where your Story Begins” Canvas
- “Twilight: Director’s Notebook: The Story of How We Made the Movie”
- 3-Pointer Basketball Tin
- “House” Cane Ornament
- “Harry Potter” Clue
- Men’s Comfy Feet Miami Dolphins
- “How I Met Your Mother” MacLaren’s Irish Pub Shot Glass
- OtterBox iPhone 4 Defender Case
- Angry Birds Red Bird Peruvian Beanie
- Picnic Backpack
- “The Big Lebowski”: Urban Achiever 8-Inch Figures
- The Official Chuck Norris Fact Book
- Tennis Star Gift Tin
- Dallas Cowboys Floor Mats
- “1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die”
- “The Wire”: Bubbles Depot Reusable Travel Mug
- “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn” Wall Calendar
- “Game of Thrones” Sword Letter Opener