Checking In and Checking Out South by Southwest
As a South-by newbie, I had very little idea what to expect upon arriving in Austin.
One thing I sure wasn’t expecting was the cold and gloomy weather. But once you walk from wherever you manage to find a room over to the Austin convention center, things heat up considerably. The lobby is hip-ified with whiteboards and zeitgeist polls and for-sale hoodies (not that everyone didn’t come with their own already).
Registration was a zoo, albeit a well-organized one where the herds were sorted into their various species — speakers, attendees and the omnivorous press.
As for AllThingsD, Liz Gannes and I are already on the ground, and we’ll be joined by the rest of our posse shortly.
In the meantime, here’s a look at some of the very early scenes from SXSW 2012. And if you are a newbie like me, or just want a little help, check out this tech tool kit that Lauren Goode put together.
- The Homeless Defend Becoming Hotspots
- Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann’s Lesson for Start-Ups: Go Your Own Way
- The Best and Weirdest Requests and Errands at SXSW From Zaarly, TaskRabbit and Others
- Al Gore and Sean Parker Blame TV and Money for Ruining Politics, and Say Social Media Ought to Fix It
- Letters From SXSW: How to Be “Disruptive”
- SXSW News: Jerry Levin’s StartUp Health Academy for Entrepreneurs Announces First Class
- The Best (And Worst) Marketing Gimmick in Austin
- Forget Cleantech — It’s Cleanweb at SXSW
- Houston Comes to Austin as Kara Swisher Talks Lessons Learned with Dropbox CEO
- After Nearly Doubling Its Userbase in Three Months, Instagram Will Finally Come to Android
- The Power of Power at South By Southwest
- How Jimmy Fallon Uses the Nike FuelBand (It’s Naughty, Of Course)
- Gawker Will Deputize Commenters, Says Sheriff Nick Denton
- Microsoft’s Danah Boyd: Social Media Makes the World More Fearful
- Etsy CEO on Building a Lean Start-Up: Deploy, Deploy, Deploy
- South By Southwest Parties On, Despite the Rain
- At SXSW, Joi Ito Invites Tech Entrepreneurs Into the MIT Media Lab
- Texas Gov. Rick Perry Drops In on South By Southwest
- Can Playing More Games Make Your Life “SuperBetter”? Jane McGonigal Thinks So.
- Google’s Vic Gundotra on Why Plus Isn’t a Minus
- Rain Douses Austin as Crowds Flood Into SXSW
- Checking In and Checking Out South by Southwest
- SXSW Serendipity Gets Yet Another Helper: Kismet
- The Essential SXSW Tech Tool Kit
- Geek in the Heart of Texas: AllThingsD at SXSW 2012