The Best (And Worst) Marketing Gimmick in Austin
As I walked from the Austin Convention Center, I noticed that nearly every car had an envelope under the wipers, marked “Parking Violation.”
Suspecting this might be a South by Southwest gimmick rather than meter enforcement, I grabbed one of said envelopes.
Indeed, opening the envelope revealed a postcard with a quarter taped to it and a pitch for a start-up called ParkMe.
“Download the Parkme app today,” the flyer said, in all capital letters, below the also fully capitalized “Parking violation warning.”
I wonder how many car owners fell for it, and just how forgiving they were upon learning they had been played.
- The Homeless Defend Becoming Hotspots
- Pinterest CEO Ben Silbermann’s Lesson for Start-Ups: Go Your Own Way
- The Best and Weirdest Requests and Errands at SXSW From Zaarly, TaskRabbit and Others
- Al Gore and Sean Parker Blame TV and Money for Ruining Politics, and Say Social Media Ought to Fix It
- Letters From SXSW: How to Be “Disruptive”
- SXSW News: Jerry Levin’s StartUp Health Academy for Entrepreneurs Announces First Class
- The Best (And Worst) Marketing Gimmick in Austin
- Forget Cleantech — It’s Cleanweb at SXSW
- Houston Comes to Austin as Kara Swisher Talks Lessons Learned with Dropbox CEO
- After Nearly Doubling Its Userbase in Three Months, Instagram Will Finally Come to Android
- The Power of Power at South By Southwest
- How Jimmy Fallon Uses the Nike FuelBand (It’s Naughty, Of Course)
- Gawker Will Deputize Commenters, Says Sheriff Nick Denton
- Microsoft’s Danah Boyd: Social Media Makes the World More Fearful
- Etsy CEO on Building a Lean Start-Up: Deploy, Deploy, Deploy
- South By Southwest Parties On, Despite the Rain
- At SXSW, Joi Ito Invites Tech Entrepreneurs Into the MIT Media Lab
- Texas Gov. Rick Perry Drops In on South By Southwest
- Can Playing More Games Make Your Life “SuperBetter”? Jane McGonigal Thinks So.
- Google’s Vic Gundotra on Why Plus Isn’t a Minus
- Rain Douses Austin as Crowds Flood Into SXSW
- Checking In and Checking Out South by Southwest
- SXSW Serendipity Gets Yet Another Helper: Kismet
- The Essential SXSW Tech Tool Kit
- Geek in the Heart of Texas: AllThingsD at SXSW 2012