On Day Two, Facebook Shares Open More Than 10 Percent Off
After opening at a share price of $36.53, shares of Facebook stock dipped by more than 10 percent below the company’s initial public offering price of $38, trading as low as $33 at one point on Monday morning.
Zynga and LinkedIn were also down on the news, opening off around 2 percent and 5 percent, respectively.
After what many called out as a lackluster performance on its opening day, all eyes are on the company’s ticker this week to see how the shares perform going forward. Scores of financial analysts and armchair investors and much of the technology press expected an initial first-day “pop,” a jump of 10 percent to 20 percent or more for fast-moving retail flippers to make a quick buck.
But as Friday’s trading day came and went, and the stock closed only slightly higher than it debuted, many expected that Facebook shares would open off come Monday morning, especially since underwriters were no longer able to prop up the stock by dipping into the greenshoe like they did on Friday.
A great many argued that Facebook shares were priced perfectly, leaving no money on the table for retail investors to come in and sweep up in the first-day pop that so many had expected. Exercising the allotment option was the underwriters’ job, Fortune’s Dan Primack argued vehemently; first and foremost, Facebook was priced to get the most money it could for going public.
Here’s the thing: Like Benchmark Capital’s Bill Gurley reminds, Amazon’s debut saw the stock break issue and stay below its IPO price for months.
It then went on — over the long haul — to rise 1000x.
- In Its First Acquisition as a Public Company, Facebook Buys Social Gifting App Karma
- Zynga’s Stock Tanks After Facebook Fails to Pop
- The Price Is Right: Facebook Closes Near Opening Price
- And We’re Off! Facebook Shares Hit the Nasdaq at a Slight Increase Before Settling Back.
- Hear That?
- $$FB$$ Has Arrived: So Now What?
- Facebook Cheers On Mark Zuckerberg. Wall Street Gets Its Chance Soon.
- The Verdict Is In: Facebook Share Price Set at $38
- How Will Facebook’s Zuckerberg Adapt to Working in the Public Eye?
- Facebook IPO Halo Boosts Social Media Stocks
- How Will Facebook Ring in the IPO? With a Hackathon, Of Course.
- What to Expect When Facebook Is Expecting: Five Predictions for Facebook’s First Public Year
- Facebook Is Still Figuring It Out. Will Advertisers and Investors Wait Around?
- Investors Told Facebook IPO Will Be in $34 to $38 Price Range
- Facebook Roadshow Bloopers (Comic)
- Facebook’s Latest S-1 Amendment: Yep, We’re Still Weak on Mobile
- $FB Is a Buy, Analysts Say
- Facebook’s Road Show Kicks Off Electronically With Zuckerberg in a T-Shirt (Video)
- After Public Offering, Mark Zuckerberg Will Still Control More Than Half of Facebook
- Facebook IPO Docs Could Get Approval This Week, Followed by Road Show With Zuckerberg (No Guarantee on Tie)
- Updated S-1: Facebook’s Yearly Revenue Growth Up 45 Percent, But Down Six Percent From Last Quarter
- SecondMarket Lays Off 10 Percent in Light of Facebook IPO
- SEC Cracks Down on Firms Trading Facebook Pre-IPO Shares
- Tidbits From the Facebook IPO Filing: I’ll Have What SV VCs Marc Andreessen and Jim Breyer Are Having!
- During the IPO Quiet Period, Please Enjoy the D Stylings of Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg (Video)
- Facebook’s Ad Business Is a $3 Billion Mystery
- Viral Video: Farewell to the No-IPO Mark Zuckerberg
- Zuckerberg Is the Billion-Share Man: Who Owns What, Who Makes What in the Facebook IPO
- Zuckerberg Tells Investors, “We Don’t Build Services to Make Money”
- Mobile Highlighted as Key Risk Factor (and Opportunity) in Facebook Filing
- Stop All That Poking: Facebook Filing Temporarily Crashes SEC Web Site
- Zynga Accounted for 12 Percent of Facebook’s Revenue in 2011
- Facebook Has 845 Million Users
- On Its Eighth Birthday, Facebook Files to Raise $5 Billion in Massive IPO (Get Your S-1 Here!)
- Go the F**k Back to Sleep, Silicon Valley: Facebook IPO Likely to File Later Today at Earliest
- Dude, Where’s My Facebook IPO Filing? (Ashton’s on Hold!)
- The Quiet Man: Meet the Less-Known Face of the Facebook IPO, CFO David Ebersman
- Facebook Board Meeting Today for Final IPO Okays
- Facebook (Eye)PO: Tracking the Truth of the Biggest Deal of Web 2.0
- Viral Graphic: Visualizing the Facebook IPO
- Is Facebook IPO on Track for Late May?
- IPO Watch: Facebook Hiring Brunswick to Help With Comms for Expected Public Offering
- Complete Facebook coverage