Google Play Beefs Up Entertainment Content With TV Shows, Magazines
Today, Google unveiled its own Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus Q streaming media player. A key part of the success of these devices will be content, of course, and Google is taking steps to its bulk up its offerings to take on Amazon and Apple.
The search giant announced at its Google I/O conference that it is adding movie purchases, TV shows and magazines to its Google Play store.
Previously, you could only rent movies from the storefront, but now you can buy them, as well. Google has also worked with such studios as ABC, NBC Universal and Sony Pictures to bring “thousands of episodes” of broadcast and cable TV shows, including hits like “Breaking Bad” and “30 Rock.”
Users will be able to play back movies and TV shows on all Android devices, with support for Google TV coming soon.
In addition to reading books, Android users can peruse their favorite magazines; some sample titles include Bon Appetit, Esquire, Conde Nast Traveler and Popular Science. But the magazines are not interactive like the digital editions found on the iPad. Instead, they are stripped down PDF versions like those you find on the Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook.
The new content is available today through the Web-based store, and will roll out to Google Play on devices over the coming days.
- Taking on Amazon, Google Announces Compute Engine
- Google: Chromebooks Coming to Best Buy, Dixons
- Googleâ€™s Chrome Browser Coming to iPhone and iPad
- Liveblogging Google I/O, Day 2: Maps, Cloud and More
- Google Nexus 7, Nexus Q First Impressions
- More Details on Googleâ€™s Project Glass General Availability, Pricing and Features
- How Googleâ€™s Project Glass Might Avoid Disrupting Its Usersâ€™ Lives
- Google I/O Attendees Get First Crack at Buying Google Glass â€” But Not Till Next Year
- Google+ Now Counts 150M Actives, Releases Tablet Apps and Events Tool
- Made in the U.S.A.: With Nexus Q, Google Brings Manufacturing Back to the States
- Googleâ€™s Nexus 7 Tablet Finally Revealed
- Google Now Might Be Googleâ€™s Most Personalized Feature Yet
- Google: Android Jelly Bean 4.1 Is Like â€śButterâ€ť
- With Sights Dead Set on the Living Room, Google Debuts A Streaming Media Device
- Live From Google I/O: A Tablet, a Streaming Media Player and Google Glasses Descend From the Sky
- Google Is Doing Android Tablets, but What Is It Doing to Make Tablets Better?
- What Google Promised Last Year at I/O and What the Heck Happened
- I/O Preview: Google Set This Week to Challenge Amazon, Sonos, Apple and â€¦ Oh, Just Fill in the Blank Here