Five Things We Learned at the Apple-Samsung Trial Last Week
Over the course of the trial, Apple — a company infamous for its corporate culture of secrecy and well-guarded product-development process — was forced to lay bare many internal details that until now have never seen the light of day.
For Apple enthusiasts and those curious about what happens behind Apple’s closed doors, it’s an information goldmine. Here are the five most interesting thing we took away from Week One:
Eddy Cue Liked the Idea of a Seven-Inch iPad
No one was a bigger public naysayer of Apple producing a smaller version of its iPad than Apple’s former CEO, Steve Jobs. He famously railed against the idea on a conference call in 2010: “It’s because we think the screen is too small to express the software,” Jobs said.
Yet, on Friday, an unearthed internal Apple email revealed a doozy: Even some of Apple’s top brass, like Senior Vice President of Internet and Software Services Eddy Cue, thought it was an area ripe for Apple’s taking.
“I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one,” Cue wrote, going on to state that the now deceased Jobs even “seemed very receptive” after Cue mentioned it to Jobs several times.
Project Purple, or How the iPhone Came To Be
When Jobs charged SVP Scott Forstall with the task of creating the first iPhone in 2004, it was a gargantuan task, only made more difficult by the level of secrecy imposed on Forstall and his team. Jobs gave Forstall carte blanche to recruit any member of Apple’s engineering staff for Project Purple, as it was known. However, Forstall could tell them virtually nothing about the project, save for the fact that they’d be giving up nights and weekends for the next few years.
The team secured one of Apple’s buildings, and took over an entire floor. Forstall’s team got high-level badge access, though getting through to the project area sometimes required passing through five or six sets of locked doors.
Apple’s dream team of designers isn’t large. In fact, the company’s entire product portfolio stems from a group of 15 or 16 people, according to veteran Apple industrial designer Chris Stringer, all of whom convene around a kitchen table to discuss the exhaustive, laborious design process behind each Apple device.
“We’ll sit there with our sketch books and trade ideas,” Stringer testified. “That’s where the really hard, brutal, honest criticism comes in.”
As ubiquitous and popular as the iPhone is today, throughout the three-year process of designing, testing and building the phone, even Steve Jobs had doubts it would ever see the light of day.
“Smartphones existed, but they were more like little computers,” designer Stringer testified. “We were doing something unprecedented.”
Apple’s Insane Marketing Budget for the iPhone and iPad
When SVP of Marketing Phil Schiller took the stand, the exec shed light on the long road filled with doubt that it took to produce the iPhone and the iPad. But when those in the company realized they had nailed it, Apple put its all into pushing the products, with hundreds of millions in ad spending.
From the period where the first iPhone was released in 2007 until the end of fiscal year 2011, Apple spent more than $1.1 billion on marketing its iPhone and iPad devices worldwide. It seemed like a gamble. But with the two devices being the company’s fastest-selling products ever, it certainly looks to have worked out well for Apple.
Check out the list of links below to see all the other noteworthy moments that went down. And, of course, stay with us as we continue covering the trial on-site from San Jose this week.
- Calling All Gluttons for Legalese Punishment: Here’s the Apple-Samsung Amended Verdict Form
- Apple-Samsung Juror Tells CNET Debate Was “Heated”
- “The Jury Has Now Spoken”: Apple CEO Tim Cook’s Memo to Employees on Patent Win Over Samsung
- Apple’s Big Patent Win: A Shot Across the Bow of All Android Device Manufacturers
- Next Stop for Apple-Samsung: Appeals Court
- Wall Street Reacts to Apple’s Legal Win Over Samsung: Maybe, Let’s Not Kill All the Lawyers!
- Apple Says Verdict Is a Win for Values; Samsung Says It’s a Loss for Consumers
- Jury Slightly Lowers Apple-Samsung Verdict After Inconsistencies Noted
- On One-Year of Anniversary of Jobs Stepping Down as CEO, Karma’s a … Patent Victory for Apple
- Jury: Samsung Owes Apple More Than $1 Billion for Infringing Patents
- Competing Views of Competition in Apple-Samsung Trial
- Ringside as Apple and Samsung Go Into the Final Round
- Apple, Samsung Jury Won’t Hear About Missing Evidence
- The Definitive Insider’s Guide to Apple vs. Samsung
- At Long Last, Testimony Wraps up in Apple Vs. Samsung
- Apple: Samsung Didn’t Live Up to Its Standards Obligations
- Judge Koh: It’s Samsung’s Own Fault It Ran Out of Time
- Apple Lawyer to Frustrated Judge: Yes, We Need All These Witnesses, and No, I’m Not Smoking Crack
- Apple vs. Samsung Judge Encourages “Horse Trading” to Narrow Case
- Apple Says Samsung Documents Show Google’s Influence On Galaxy Products
- Patience Runs Thin as Time Runs Short in Apple vs. Samsung
- Samsung Designer Says Galaxy Tab 10.1 Work Preceded iPad Announcement
- Give Peace a Chance, Judge Says, Asking Apple and Samsung CEOs to Meet One Last Time
- Samsung Document Notes Their Smartphone Icons Not Always Iconic
- Samsung Designer Testifies She Didn’t Copy Any of Apple’s Icons
- Fireworks in Apple-Samsung Trial Over Whether Expert Had Improper Access to Intel Source Code
- The iPhone Advantage Is Largest in Big Cities, According to Samsung Study
- Judge Refuses to Toss Most of Apple’s Suit Against Samsung
- Apple: Offer to License Patents to Samsung Didn’t Include iPhone’s Interface
- Latest Front in the Apple vs. Samsung Battle: Jury Instructions
- A Look Back at the Second Week of the Apple-Samsung Trial
- Here’s Apple’s August 2010 Warning to Samsung on Patents
- Apple Offered to License its Patents to Samsung for $30 Per Smartphone, $40 Per Tablet
- Apple Patent Head: We Don’t Want to License Clones
- MIT Professor Says Samsung Customers Might Pay Extra $100 for Apple-like Features
- After Starting With a Bang, Apple vs. Samsung Now Just as Boring as Other Patent Cases
- Samsung’s U.S. Tablet Revenue Less Than 5 Percent of Apple’s, Court Documents Show
- Apple vs. Samsung Trial Forces Companies to Open Up the Books
- Jurors in Apple vs. Samsung Get a Raise, but Still Woefully Underpaid
- Samsung on Its iPhone-Envy Memo: Nothing to See Here, Move Along
- Samsung’s 2010 Report Says Its Galaxy Would Be Better if It Were Just More Like the iPhone
- Similarity of Apple and Samsung Icons “Beyond Coincidental,” Designer Testifies
- iPhone Caused “Crisis of Design” at Samsung (Memo)
- Samsung Exec Downplays “Crisis of Design” Memo at Patent Trial
- Five Things We Learned at the Apple-Samsung Trial Last Week
- Samsung’ Hinges its Case on Rectangles and Rounded Corners
- Apple’s Case Against Samsung in Three Pictures
- Top Apple Executive Saw Market for 7-Inch Tablet in 2011, Said Company Should Do One
- Apple’s Scott Forstall on How “Project Purple” Became the iPhone
- Apple’s Phil Schiller on How Apple Came Up With the iPhone and iPad
- Apple Loses Bid to Keep Customer Survey Secret
- Samsung and Apple Speaking to One Jury, Many Audiences
- Samsung: We Weren’t Trying to Mess With the Jury
- Judge Koh on “2001” Evidence: I’m Sorry, Samsung, I’m Afraid I Can’t Do That
- Apple: Litigation Misconduct Is Part of Samsung’s Legal Strategy
- Samsung Goes Public With Excluded Evidence to Undercut Apple’s Design Claims
- Apple Designer: We’ve Been Ripped Off
- Apple Designer: Even Steve Jobs Doubted the iPhone at Times
- Apple Literally Designs Its Products Around a Kitchen Table
- Samsung: Apple Didn’t Invent the Rectangle
- Apple: Samsung Took the Easy Road and Copied Us
- Day One of Apple vs. Samsung Starts With Another Debate on Apple’s “Sony Style”
- Samsung Thwarted in Bid to Show Apple Has “Sony Style”
- As Apple and Samsung Head to Court, Here’s a Handy Cheat Sheet
- Key Witness No Longer Works at Apple, Doesn’t Want to Testify at Samsung Trial
- Can I Get a Witness? Sure, Here’s a Whole List of Them, as Apple vs. Samsung Heads to Trial.
- Apple’s Case Against Samsung Gives Rare Glimpse at Dozens of iPhone and iPad Prototype Designs
- Samsung Makes Another Case to Have Apple’s “Sony Style” Put Before Jury
- Apple Tries to Torpedo Samsung’s “Sony Style” iPhone Charge
- Samsung, Apple Even at Odds Over Where They Will Sit at Trial
- Documents in Apple vs. Samsung Give Reporters Plenty to Chew On
- Samsung, Apple Reveal Names of Those Who May Testify at Next Week’s Trial
- Apple’s iPhone Has Sony Style, Says Samsung (Full Trial Brief)
- Apple: Google Warned Samsung Against Copying Us
- Jury to Hear That Samsung Failed to Preserve Evidence in Apple Patent Suit
- Apple to Samsung: You Give Us $2.5 Billion and We’ll Give You a Half-Cent-a-Unit Royalty
- Apple vs. Samsung: Another Patent Slapfight, Another Exasperated Judge