HP Confirms DOJ Is Investigating Alleged Fraud in Autonomy Deal
Hewlett-Packard said today that the U.S. Department of Justice is investigating its acquisition of Autonomy, for which it is trying to write down about $5 billion in expenses due to alleged “serious accounting improprieties.”
The investigation confirmation came as part of HP’s annual report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. But this move was entirely expected given HP took its case to the FBI/DOJ and the SEC in the United States as well as the Serious Fraud Office in the U.K.
HP said it was alerted by the DOJ on Nov. 21 that it had officially opened an investigation about Autonomy.
Former Autonomy CEO Mike Lynch has strenuously rejected HP’s claims and has demanded to see evidence for them.
A spokesman for HP declined to comment on the matter.
- More From Mike Lynch: HP’s Autonomy Accusations Are Getting Weaker
- Mike Lynch Punches Back at Today’s HP Filing: Whither $5B Writedown?
- HP Confirms DOJ Is Investigating Alleged Fraud in Autonomy Deal
- Yes, There Are Layoffs Pending at HP’s Autonomy Unit in the U.K.
- Former HP CEO Shifts Blame for Autonomy Deal to Chairman
- Dell Passed on Autonomy Before HP Bought It
- Why Mike Lynch Is Playing PR Hardball With HP
- Autonomy Founder Lynch Asks Board to Explain HP Allegations
- Autonomy Founder Lynch Blames Accounting Standards in HP Flap
- The Red Flags That Were Obvious — To Some — In the HP-Autonomy Deal
- Oracle’s Ellison Vindicated in Autonomy PR Flap by HP’s $8.8 Billion Writedown
- Autonomy Founder Mike Lynch Rejects HP Charges, Alleges Mismanagement
- What Exactly Happened at Autonomy?
- HP Explains Its $8.8 Billion “Oops”
- HP Beats Street Amid Sales Declines, Takes $8.8 Billion Charge
- HP Names Microsoft Exec Robert Youngjohns to Run Autonomy
- Search Under Way at HP for Autonomy’s Next Chief
- Autonomy’s Mike Lynch Talks About Being HP’s Speedy Tiger Cub (Video)
- Britain’s First Software Billionaire Now Reports to HP CEO Meg Whitman
- Oracle Launches Exalytics Machine, Probably Ending Spat With Autonomy
- Autonomy: When All Else Fails, Blame the Bankers
- Mike Lynch to Oracle: Oh, You Mean Those Slides
- Oracle: You Have a Very Bad Memory, Mr. Lynch
- HP Reportedly Close to $10 Billion Buyout of Autonomy, PC Unit Spinoff
- Will Oracle and Microsoft Bid on Autonomy?