Apple’s Second Samsung Suit Sails On
That’s what U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh had to say last month about a second patent suit Apple had brought against Samsung. Now, less than a month later, she appears to have reconsidered her position — with a caveat or two.
Late Friday, Koh ruled that Apple’s second suit against Samsung — this one involving alleged infringement of a group of patents, including one related to the company’s Siri voice search technology — can move forward.
Evidently, Koh decided there’s little to gain by postponing Apple’s second suit against Samsung until an appeals court renders a decision on the first. What she did decide was that the case would benefit from a little streamlining. In her ruling, Koh told both companies to “significantly” reduce the scope of the case by trimming down its claims and expert witness testimony.
Welcome news for Apple, which had been pushing aggressively for the case to proceed, arguing that postponing it was injurious to its business. “This case must proceed now in order to stop the ongoing sales — and relentless launch — of Samsung’s latest infringing devices, which have caused, and every day continue to cause, continuing harm to Apple,” the company said in its argument against postponement.
The case is scheduled to go to trial in March of 2014.