Apple’s Tim Cook Has a “Grand Vision” for Television — And Still Won’t Talk About It
However! According to Cook, the company sure has seemed to learn from its initial foray into the living room.
“There is a very grand vision of this,” Cook said, speaking of television in general, in an onstage conversation with Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg at the conference.
“When you look at the TV experience, it’s not an experience that I think very many people love,” Cook said. “It’s not one that has been brought up to date for this decade. It’s still an experience much like 10 years ago or 20 years ago.”
Apple’s answer to that, thus far, has been Apple TV. It’s the company’s modestly priced, fairly limited set-top device. Which, of course, Cook and Apple have maintained for some time is the company’s pet experimental project — a “hobby,” as Cook has said many times over the years.
“We answered some of those [problems] — clearly not all of those — through Apple TV,” he said.
While the company has seen modest success with Apple TV here — selling more than 13 million since the device debuted — it has been less a flagship product than a sort of learning experience for the company.
“It’s been great for customers,” Cook said. “But it’s also been good from a learning point of view for Apple.”
Does that mean we’ll see a TV set before the year is out?
“I’m going to leave that alone,” Cook said. “But it continues to be an area of great interest to us.”
Maybe we’ll know by D12.
- Liveblog: Apple Has More Game-Changing Tech in the Works, Says CEO Tim Cook
- Apple’s Tim Cook Has a “Grand Vision” for Television — And Still Won’t Talk About It
- Tim Cook on Wearables: “I Think The Wrist is Interesting”
- Apple Has Bought Nine Companies Since October, and Is Going to Pick Up the Pace, Says Tim Cook
- Former EPA Chief Lisa Jackson to Join Apple
- Why Tim Cook Isn’t Freaked Out About Market Share (Video)
- Why Apple Makes Only One iPhone, and Doesn’t Want to Make a Phablet (Video)
- Could Apple Be Getting Just a Bit More Open? (Video)
- Tim Cook Talks Taxes (Video)